Pages

Monday, April 13, 2009

Miley Cyrus, The Apocalypse, and the End of Infertility

You know the apocalypse is upon us when I say "Miley Cyrus" and "I cried" in the same sentence.

Are you ready?... I cannot stop crying when I hear that new song, "The Climb" from the overrated teen queen, Miley Cyrus.

You haven't heard it?? I defy any infertile to hear the song and not feel the need to shed a tear or two. Or a hundred.

There's always going to be another mountain
I'm always going to want to make it move
Always going to be an uphill battle,
Sometimes I'm gonna to have to lose,
Ain't about how fast I get there,
Ain't about what's waiting on the other side
It's the climb

Thank you Miley.

Speaking of celebrities (loosely), I also want to talk about Trista Sutter. Oh, you remember Trista, right? The Bachelorette that actually got married. I like her. She seems like a smart girl.

Anyway, let us dig deep into the BagMomma archives to a post I wrote several years ago, when Trista was talking about her two-year battle with infertility and how the Ov.Wa.tch. helped her get pregnant with her first child.

Then came child #2, soon after (wow, lucky dog!). And now, she's gettin' cozy with another company... (I hope she's getting paid) but this time she's AVOIDING pregnancy.

This got me to thinking. If you've battled infertility at all in your lifetime, and achieved your dream (whether it be 1, 2, or 10 children)... how comfortable would you be jumping into permanent birth control?

Does an infertile ever do that? Really???

I may be way off base, but I am thinking that anyone that's been though a very hard time conceiving wouldn't exactly be running to their OB/GYN to avoid pregnancy. I think I'd sooner jump bare-assed out of a plane with a poorly-packed parachute than do that. Maybe it's because I am not done yet, and the thought of any woman willingly cutting off their reproductive ability is directly mocking me.

Joking of course. Ok, not really.

Look, I don't disagree with it... I just find it.... odd.

If it were me making this decision (lol, like I EVER! will have to) I'd feel like I was playing with the devil. And the minute I really cut things off (so to speak) something would happen and I'd regret it. OR, the Gods (much in the same way they've been torturing me for all these years) would mock my smugness and impart bad juju to my family.

What say you, internet?

I know you all have got to have a lot of opinions on this.

Responsible family planning for infertile graduates, or the equivalent of 10 broken mirrors (70 years of bad luck)?