Pages

Monday, August 29, 2011

The Wheel

Somehow, I found my way to watching the VMA's on MTV last night. I had just sat down on the recliner after mulling around and cleaning the kitchen.

Man, I was tired.

No sleep from the night before after standing guard during the hurricane (we survived just fine, btw, save for a few hellish tornado warnings). I felt like my weekend had passed in a blur. The whole week for that matter.. so many natural disasters!... so little time.

Anyway, I tuned in just as Beyonce was rubbing her newly pregnant belly. Of course, I'm sure she's a nice and deserving mother-to-be, but I will freely admit that the image really hit a nerve.

As a knee jerk reaction I posted this on Twitter:


And then... I put down my iPad and cried.
It has been a long time since I had "that" feeling. It's as if the world shrank into a teacup and I could feel my body sinking into it.  It's been a long time since I registered such an intense reaction from a purely random event.  You would think several years after stopping infertility treatment, the pain would be a little less raw, but no.  It was a hell of a lot more like ripping a band-aid off an open wound at sonic speed.

I failed.

I can never redeem myself from the fact that I failed! I walked away from failure (although it felt a lot like running at times) and on days like yesterday I feel like I am barely capable of even crawling.

But worse than that I still suck at not letting my emotions overtake me when I see someone happy and pregnant.  There is no amount of self-discovery, therapy, or nachos that can deaden that insane feeling.  It's ridiculous.  Why can I not move on from this??

I am a hamster on a wheel, always chasing, running, hoping to get somewhere and ending up back where I started.

I wished so hard that this feeling would go away, and I can say with certainty, now, that it will never go away. 

And I am just so damn tired of living with it.  So fucking tired.

post signature