They do exist. Maybe not the horror-movie kind, but certainly the emotional kind.
I had thought of not posting this. I thought about the eyes that could read this today, tomorrow, someday... and say, "why is this any of her business when she doesn't know the whole story?"
...but I need to say it.
A dear member of my extended family ended his life. On purpose. He was my Dad's best friend. My Mom's friend. My Mom's best friend's husband. He was a Dad. He was a Grandfather. He would have been the first person I would call if something happened to my own Dad.
He was present for every milestone in my adult life. He was at my wedding, birthday parties, christenings, and funerals. His face is in dozens of pictures, video, and memories of MY life.
And now he's dead.
When my Mom called me with the news, I was stunned.
or was I? This was a man who had some personal demons (which I don't think is fair to divulge here), but led the life many of us aspire to. He was a good guy. He was retired from a great job that provided well for his financial future. He traveled. He had a family that loved him.
My first reaction was shock and sadness. But then my sadness shifted- shifted so quickly to the thought of his wife and family. The burden they will now carry for the rest of their own lives. The burden my parents will carry. The regrets. The things left unsaid. The missed opportunities to stop the train from leaving its tracks.
He robbed all of us. He might as well just took all the living with him.
How could you?