Pages

Monday, June 01, 2009

Fun with Fortune Cookies: Part Two

You might remember this post from long ago when I looked for magic in a fortune cookie.

Consider this the second installment, but much less magical.


Hmmmmm.

Think about it (go ahead, I'll wait...)

Let me say one thing first before we explore the meaning of fortunes. Fortunes are supposed to be HOPEFUL, LUCKY, UPLIFTING.

So I put some real thought to this.

Ok, trees can't touch the sky....

Is this just a statement of fact?

Or rather, trees can't ever reach the sky, thereby never achieving their personal "tree" goals? Do trees have a goal?

ok, trees are people then (those Germans love their analogies, I should know... I am one).

People can't touch the sky. Physically, sure.

Is this supposed to represent dreams/goals PEOPLE can achieve?

Wait, this is seriously turning into a downer. Is this fortune telling me "don't bother reaching for the stars, because, HA! you'll never get there!?"

Oh for pete's sake. What a freakin' buzzkill.

Perhaps the economic downturn has affected the "fortune cookie writers"? I sense a very pissed off employee.

This "fortune" is no fortune at all.

I need a new Chinese restaurant.