Recently, my husband and I decided to try to really focus on being a little greener around the house.We always recycled, but our township was nice enough to provide a dedicated trash receptacle, and changed the way items are collected to make it easier to recycle. Now, we just dump everything (glass, plastic, paper) into one place.
Surprise to us: we started to recycle more and more. Now, it's a rarity that our regular garbage container is full week to week.
Phase Two was eliminating all the light bulbs and replacing with the compact energy-saving ones. This was a big step for me, since my biggest gripe was I did not have the patience to let them "warm up". I'm an "on-demand" kind of gal, and this was painful at first, but you know what? It's not all that bad anymore. In fact, I appreciate not being blinded by 300 watts of bright light in the bathroom first thing in the morning.
We are about 70% switched out with the light bulbs. One more trip to Sam's Club for some more bulbs and we'll be 100%. I am wondering how this might affect the electricity bill. Only time will tell, I guess!
Not sure what we'll do next, but I am open to ideas.
We'd love to get rid of the honking big pick-up truck (husband's ride), but due to the declining economy our three year old truck is next to worthless (ok, I am exaggerating, but it's worth LESS than what we owe on it). Who knew? At least I got rid of my large SUV a year ago.
Little steps to a greener world I guess.