Pages

Monday, June 09, 2008

Are TWO better than one??

It's been lonely in the house since our pets passed away last year.

Since then, we've pondered "when is the right time to get a new pet?" and we decided that now is a good time.

We won't be shopping for dogs at the shelter anytime soon (too much of a commitment at the moment, and I haven't even refinished my floors yet from when we had Teddi).

So, last week I stopped by our local shelter and filled out an application for a cat. After we were approved, I took David and S. along to narrow down the choices.

Our only must-haves were we preferred a male cat, short-haired.

Yesterday, we happened upon a cage of three brothers. Three male kittens.... one black, one tabby, and one grey/white.

Immediately I felt a bond with the tabby kitten.

Then S. said, "why not TWO cats? after all, they are brothers."

And the shelter manager thought what a fabulous idea (of course she did).

I am on the fence. There are a lot of good reasons to bring two home. They would have each other, it's not incrementally more work for two cats (just extra food/litter). Heck, I haven't even cleaned a litter box since 2002 (S. started when I was pg with David and I never reclaimed the job).

I am a bit concerned on the scratching issue. My old cat, Luke, was declawed (that was not considered horrifying to do 18 years ago), but I will not declaw any future cats.

Do scratching posts really keep kittens at bay with destroying furniture? or am I over-reacting and it's not a big deal? I feel like two would be harder in that respect? or am I way off-base?

This would be my first new cat(s) in 17 years. I am so perplexed. I am definitely ready for one..... I just can't decide if I should bring home one or two.

Readers! Please share your multiple cat stories please.


Update: Life is short, so I'm diving in. Looks like we will be family + 2 this evening! Thanks for your feedback (and to my fairweather friend, Google... because I found way more positive stories than negative ones!)